+1 (905) 790 0422  info@rcimm.com  +1 (905) 790 5662

Table of contents

More on Family Sponsorship

Who can sponsor?

Before you can sponsor a family member, you must meet a number of conditions, including:
a Permanent residence or Canadian citizen who is at least 18 years old, can support the sponsored person for a number of years.

Whom can you sponsor?

  • the common-law partners and spouses
  • relying children
  • grandparents and parents
  • There are certain exceptions to this restriction, though, and you might be able to sponsor someone who isn't in your direct family (like a sister, niece, or uncle) if:

They fit the criteria for a dependent kid and you do not have any other members of your immediate family that you could sponsor, or you have officially adopted them.

How much income is required to sponsor?

A Sponsorship Agreement must be signed by you and the family member you are helping. This is your commitment to financially support the individual you are sponsoring so that they can access basic necessities like clothing, food, shelter, and non-government-funded healthcare.

Sponsorship Undertaking

You will be required to sign a "undertaking" that binds you to the member of the family you are supporting. If that family member ever need government social assistance, you will have to repay this money.

The undertaking will be in place for a specific period of time and will not be revoked even if the circumstances of the family member you are assisting change.

Length of undertaking

Sponsored person Length of undertaking (excluding Quebec)
Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner 3 years
Dependent child 10 years, or until age 25, whichever comes first
Dependent child 22 years of age or older 3 years
Parent or grandparent 20 years
Other relative 10 years

Application process

Verify your eligibility to serve as a sponsor.


Verify that the family members you want to sponsor are eligible.


You must submit your application to IRCC at the federal level and, if you reside in Quebec, to the Ministry of Immigration, Francization and Integration at the provincial level. You must submit both your application for sponsorship and the applications for permanent residence status of your family members or relatives at the same time. Your PR application will be examined once you have been approved to sponsor.


You must pay the application fee for family sponsorship.


Send your application 

Information Centre

Royal Canadian Immigration brings you the latest updates on the developments in Canadian Immigration Programs.

New Open Work Permit Policy Enhances Family Reunification in Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have recently introduced measure that aims to...

Bringing Parents and Grandparents to Canada

If you're a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP...

Get Started Now

Thank you!

We'll get back to you soon.