In June 2014, a change was made on the criteria of the description of a dependent child. He or she should be:
- Below 19 years of age
- Dependent on their parents financially, despite the age, due to physical or mental condition
- Those children that fall into the Dependent Children category, at the initial stage of a multi-step permanent resident immigration program, will be locked in throughout the possibly multi-year process.
The Federal and Provincial governments in Canada, allow for investors to immigrate into the country through the Business Class Visa. A foreign national planning to immigrate to Canada can fall into the Self-employed category if:
- They have two years of relevant experience within five years which include the day of application and ends on the day you receive a decision on your application.
- They can contribute to the Canadian economy in a required area
- Are planning and can continue in their self-employment in Canada
Relevant experience covers cultural activities, athletics and farm management. Applicants are graded based on a five selection criteria, i.e., experience, language proficiency in English or French, age, education, and adaptability.
Feel free to fill in our Free Assessment Application Form to determine your eligibility.
The eligibility criterion used to obtain a PR Card (Permanent Resident Card) include:
- One who lives in Canada
- One who is not a Canadian Citizen. A Canadian citizen does not need to have a PR Card.
- If you have the status of a permanent resident
- If the government of Canada has not asked you to leave the country
Most international students need a Study Permit to enjoy the diverse and vibrant education offered in Canadian Institutions of Learning. Each permit has an expiration date depending on your conditions for studies and tenure of the program as you Study in Canada.
You should apply for an extension of your Study Permit, at least 30 days before its expiration if:
- You complete your education program earlier than expected and want to continue with your studies. All study permits have an additional 90 days validity after completion of studies. The days start when you receive notification of the finalization of learning from the respective institution or upon receipt of your diploma, certificate or degree.
- The program takes longer to complete than the days covered by your Study Permit
Once the permit expires, you lose your status, if you stay in Canada. However, you can restore your status by applying within 90 days of the expiry date.
If you aren’t sure if you are eligible to apply, you can fill out our Free Assessment Application Form, to find out.
An Open Work Permit doesn’t restrict the holder to providing their services to a particular employer. To be eligible for this permit, you could be:
- Spouse or common-law partner of an international student or worker in Canada
- Permanent Resident applicant who has also applied for work in an office in Canada
- Refugee, protected persons, refugee claimants and their family members.
Dependent family members of a permanent resident applicant, holders of a temporary resident permit, and young workers who are working in a unique program can also apply.
In most cases, if more than five years have gone by since the end of your sentence (or payment of any fine), you can apply for a declaration of rehabilitation, which means your conviction would no longer prohibit you from entering Canada. Immigration officers would consider factors like:.
- accepting responsibility for the offence
- showing remorse for any harm done
- evidence of restitution for victims of your crime
- evidence of a change in lifestyle
- stability in employment and family life
- continuing education and skills training programs to better yourself
- involvement in community work
- reference letters from community leaders, or business or professional people
In order to qualify as an independent skilled worker, you need to have at least one year of work experience in an admissible skilled occupation. If you are just graduating and have no prior work experience, this will be difficult. In many cases, however, graduates from publicly funded educational institutions in Canada can qualify for a one-year work permit after their studies and they can do a job related to their studies. After that time, you may have the work experience and required points in order to qualify.
The Canadian government has a program to “fast track” the approval for work permits for software professionals with eight certain types of experience. Also, if your skill set is in demand, your employer may be able to have your job approved by Human Resources Development Canada so that you can get a work permit.
- Student applications: 80% processed within 4 weeks
- Routine family class applications by spouses: 6 months
- Approval in principle for applications for landing in Canada sent to Vegreville: 90 days
- Granting of landing through Vegreville: 12 to 18 months
- Visitor extensions: 25 days
- Citizenship applications: 8 to 12 months
- insufficient postage;
- incomplete or unsigned application forms;
- incorrect or missing fees;
- incorrect, incomplete address or failure to notify the visa office of a change of address;
- missing documents;
- unclear photocopies of documents;
- documents not accompanied by a certified English or French translation;
- verification of information and documents provided;
- a medical condition that may require additional tests or consultations;
- a criminal or security problem;
- family situations such as impending divorce, or custody or maintenance issues;
- completion of legal adoption;
- consultation is required with other offices in Canada and abroad;
- inquiring about the status of your application before the standard processing time has elapsed;
- you are not a permanent resident of the country in which you currently reside.